Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Dermatologist = Useless?

I went to the dermatologist today because I am 16 and suffer from severe hair loss. The dermatologist first told me my blood test came out good and then that I am suffering from pre-mature male pattern baldness. She then called her boss, the main dermatologist in the clinic and she was puzzled, saying that it was diffuse alopecia because my hair line is thick.





They then came to the conclusion that I should take regaine which is rogaine for 4 months and in that time if nothing happens, they will start giving me steroid injections.





Do they even know what they are talking about? I mean they are doctors but they just seemed to have no idea with what is going on with my hair, seems guess work to them.|||I have never heard of steroid injections helping hair loss but I am not a doctor. Get a second opinion if you aren%26#039;t comfortable with what they are telling you.





BTW, if your mom or pops have thin hair, chances are there isn%26#039;t much you can do about it. It%26#039;s heredity, unfortunately. I have thin hair (yes, girls get it too) and Rogaine has worked for me in the past, however you have to be committed to use it twice a day for the rest of your life. Count on it costing about $1 a day. I hope one of the other treatments work for you. I have yet to hear of a sure thing when it comes to baldness. Good luck!|||My doctor prescribed Rogaine to me too...its working|||I get frustrated with doctors too, claiming to know so much and then spacing it on the most simple things. Just let it be an example to you, and one day to be a complete professional in your line of work.|||In my experience most doctors are like that. They make a guess and cross their fingers. I would just stay on top of it and try to find different reasons that go along with your problem.. Do YOUR research then present them with what you have found and they will help you decide the best action. Just remember its YOUR body and they dont care about it as much as you do...





Not ment to be offensive, its just my experence with many different doctors for many different problems.|||They probably know more than you think they know. I recently went to a dermatologist about a problem that I thought could never be solved. I had some severe eczema. It was really uncomfortable. I left the office thinking, %26quot;How in the world is the medication that he prescribed going to help me?%26quot; It took some time, but eventually the medication did help. I know it is hard, but sometimes you just have to trust the expertise of your doctor. You must realize that since they have been practicing, they have probably seen your condition (premature hair loss) in other patients many times. They go through a lot of schooling to get where they are. But also, there is the occasional bad doctor out there. Their suggestion in your case here sounds reasonable to me. But don%26#039;t take my advice because I am not a dermatologist. I have just gone to one many times and my mother worked for a good one for many years.|||i dont trust them. try natural remedies first--just google home remedies hair loss. skip the crazy stuff until you find something sane. see if it works. then if it doesnt work you could try the derm again--a different derm.|||Hair loss is not a disease or something that you can cure. It is genetic from your mothers genes. Also Dermatologists work with skill Derm-Skin Tologist-Expert|||you call yourself a lifesaver!?





I call you %26quot;pimple popper MD!!%26quot;|||Yes they do but there are so many things it could be they are likely giving you the wrong help. I thought the same thing when I first started going. It took a few tries of different things to finally get something that worked for me. Although my problems isn%26#039;t hair. But I%26quot;m sure they can find somethign that will work. Just trust them and stick to it. I still have some problems after two years of going. But I know why I have my problem. It%26#039;s stress that causes it. What they can do can only do so much with most things they help with. So just do what they give you. Trust them, they know what they are doing and they will figure it out, even if it takes a little while. By the way if you dont like them, go to a different dermatologist. The first guy I went to was an ***. He got mad because I didn%26#039;t want to do the ten things he told me and I just did a few. So I switched to a different lady. I do what she told me to do which was much less than he did. I mean who wants to spend that much time in a day and put that much crap on your face. I%26#039;m sure he was right... ANyway. lol. The end of that was just rambling. Good luck with your baldness! If you go to a naturalpathic doctor they will tell you what vitamins you can take to promote hair grow. Or maybe you should just try to take a multivitamin along with what the dermatologist says. You want to try to be healthy and I%26#039;m sure that will help. Get good sleep. Eat right, exercise. Lead as healthy of a lifestyle as you can.





Kayla|||They are doctors......not God. They do the best they can to try to figure out what is wrong with you, and sometimes they don%26#039;t always know.|||They sound clueless, my dear. I doubt a dermatologist is what you need.|||They mostly know what they are talking about. Your odds are better that they will be able to fix your problem than if you went to a foot doctor or an auto mechanic. There is more than one reason a young person can lose their hair, doctors make their best guess based on the facts and symptoms presented to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment