Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Dermatologist or doctors, help for science project?

Hi, for my science class, we had to chose a skin disease and I chose Psoriasis. I had to find the cause, but it seems to be not discovered yet. Do you know the cause? Or, in which layer of the skin do the skin cells reproduce? Do people who have psoriasis have a problem with this layer? And how do you call skin cells? I read on a lot of sites that psoriasis has a link with the immune system, does it? I know I have a lot of questions but if you know the answers please answer. Thank you a lot!








*I need your name for the bibliography, you could just put your family name and the first letter of your name, and if you don%26#039;t want to post it you could send me an email.|||isn%26#039;t psoriasis an autoimmune disorder? Sometimes there isn%26#039;t an official cause with autoimmune disorders. i have a friend that has psoriasis but you only know she has it if she%26#039;s under a lot of stress.|||aiight first help me plz





http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;鈥?/a>|||You should check out hte CDC%26#039;s website - www.cdc.gov - search for psoriasis.





You can also check out the national psoriasis foundation : www.psoriasis.org/home.





I would also recommend looking at www.emedicine.com - and looking at their Psoriasis articles -- it is geared towards health care professionals but it gives a lot of great info. You have to register for the site but it is free and it includes tons of extras. (look at the Psoriasis - Emergency Medicine one - a little easier to understand)





let me know if you have any questions about anything you read.





Just a basic explanation: Psoriasis is an autoimmune disease - in which the skin cells have increased turnover (days instead of a month)- and since they are building up more cells before the old ones can slough off, the patient develops thickened plaques of skin.





The increased turnover is in cells in the dermal layer.





There is also be a genetic component -- it tends to run in families.|||it%26#039;s a genetic disease.


you are born with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment