Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Dermatologist or endocrinologist? (PCOS)?

I%26#039;m a 17 yr old girl recently diagnosed with PCOS...my regular doctor just tested my blood levels and saw that my testosterone was high. She prescribed trinessa (birth control) which had caused my periods to become regular, but my acne hasn%26#039;t really cleared up (I think I have cystic acne).





My question is, would it be best to see an endocrinologist first, or the the derm?|||I%26#039;d say endocrinologist and then a dermatologist.





Also, if you don%26#039;t mind me asking, are you overweight?


I have PCOS and a lot of my symptoms (excess hair and acne) were a lot worse than %26quot;normal%26quot; because I was overweight.





I also recommend you look into following a low GI diet (for life). Like I said, I was overweight and had many horrible symptoms, but after losing weight, the symptoms have now virtually disappeared.





Good luck.





Edit:


I use this website to keep me on the right track with foods I can eat (low GI) and foods I need to be aware of and have limited amounts of (high GI).


http://www.lowgidiet.net/pages/lowgimeal鈥?/a>





Something I love is chicken with a few boiled potatoes and lots of vegetables, the chicken + veg is low gi (watch out for carrots, they%26#039;re quite high) and the boiled potatoes are so-so, they can be eaten, but in moderation.





This website is really useful as well:


http://www.mendosa.com/low_carb_low_gi_f鈥?/a>


It takes ages to read, but it%26#039;s very informative.





Also, don%26#039;t know if you%26#039;ve ever heard of this site:


www.sparkpeople.com


It is 100% free and it basically aids people in losing weight, there%26#039;s useful articles, exercise videos, people you can talk to who are also losing weight, and there are some people on there who have successfully lost weight and want to help other people do the same. The best bit about the site (apart from being free!) is that there%26#039;s a few special PCOS groups where everyone that has joined has PCOS. They%26#039;re a really friendly group of women, happy to help share their lovely recipes for low GI meals + snacks.|||Derm cause its specifically for your skin. But you can also be put on a different brand of pills thats specifically for clearing up acne. ||| endocrinologist.|||first endo... after sometime u will come to know how ur skin is reacting then go to a derm

No comments:

Post a Comment