Saturday, December 26, 2009

I have a really weird skin condition - my dermatologist never told me what it was. HELP!!!?

Well, for the past 4 years, I%26#039;ve been getting this weird allergic reaction to getting scratched or rubbed anywhere. I don%26#039;t know how I got to be allergic, since I had no signs of it before the age of 13, now I%26#039;m 17 and I still suffer with the same damn thing. I have really sensitive skin now, it gets red from just rubbing it, and when I scratch myself, I get puffy lines, it%26#039;s especially annoying when my face itches because it becomes inflamed and itchy. I went and saw a dermatologist around 3 years ago, and they told me that they didn%26#039;t know what it was or how to treat it. I take medicine now but it doesn%26#039;t do anything except take away the puffiness. That%26#039;s all. If there%26#039;s anyone who can help me get rid of this stupid skin problem, I%26#039;d greatly appreciate it. And if you%26#039;re thinking its because I have dry skin- it%26#039;s not. I apply lotion everywhere and still, when I rub myself- it burns and itches. Not a fun thing. Please give me answers to what it is and possible solutions. Thank you.|||dermatographia...??





Dermagraphia





Dermatographic urticaria (also known as dermographism, dermatographism or%26quot;skin writing%26quot;)is a skin disorder seen in about 5 percent of the population,in which the skin becomes raised and inflamed when touched, even lightly. Dermatographic urticaria is caused by mast cells in the surface of the skin releasing histamines due to the presence of a weak membrane surrounding the mast cells. The histamines released cause the skin to swell in the affected areas.





This weak membrane easily and rapidly breaks down under physical pressure causing an allegic-like reaction, generally a red welt to appear on the skin. It can often be confused with an allergic reaction to the object causing a scratch, when in fact it is the act of being scratched that causes a welt to appear. These wheals are a subset of hives that appear within minutes, accompanied by a sensation of burning, and/or itchiness. The redness and swelling stays from anywhere upwards of 10 minutes. Often this leads to difficulty sleeping, irritability, and general discomfort.





It can be treated by antihistamines or cromoglicate, as they prevent the histamine from causing the reaction. The underlying cause of dermographism is not known, and can last for many years without relief. 95% of chronic cases are never solved. Sometimes the condition goes away, sometimes it stays forever.It is not a life threatening disease.


http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?鈥?/a>|||call your doc and ask the nurse to read your chart|||You can become allergic to anything at any point in your life. Something that didn%26#039;t bother you on Monday may cause a reaction on Tuesday! Also, allergies tend to become prominent in some people during puberty - which sounds like the timeframe that you began having this problem.





It does sound like an allergy. If it is on your entire body, think about what soap or body wash you are using that may be causing the sensitivity and try a different brand. If it is only on your face, change the products you are using and see if it stops or at least improves.





It is also possible that you are getting a reaction to something you are eating. (Sounds strange, but it does happen.) Dairy, eggs, nuts and shellfish are common triggers. Pay attention to what you eat and how irritated your skin becomes and you may make a connection.





Allergies can be tricky to diagnose and treat so I would recommend seeing an allergist. They will be able to do a skin test (harmless and painless) and give you a good idea of what is causing it.





Good luck! :)|||Hi, it sounds like you may have something called dermographism. It is a form of hives (urticaria). Here%26#039;s a website with some info and pictures. http://dermnetnz.org/reactions/dermograp鈥?/a>





Antihistamines like benadryl, claritin or aerius can help treat this condition.





Hopefully this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment