Friday, January 8, 2010

My dermatologist & obgyn have different views on acne medications.....?

My obgyn said to go to my dermatologist when I called and said I was having pregnancy acne on my face, neck, shoulders %26amp; back.





My dermatologist prescribed the following: (yes I told her I was pregnant)





Brevoxyl creamy wash - does have benzoyl peroxide in it but my derm. said that it was a wash - put it on in the shower and rinse it off. b/c it was a wash that is rinsed off it wouldn%26#039;t be absorbed into the skin.





Evoclin foam (category b)





Finacea (category b)





My obgyn is basically saying that it%26#039;s my choice to take these but she%26#039;s not giving her blessing - or really telling me what else I could take instead.





Anyone take any of these during pregnancy?


Suggestions?|||the ob-gyn does not want the liability of telling you


things are ok then if there is a problem .............


I wouldn%26#039;t want a dermatologist to deliver my baby. I would go with the skin advice from the skin Dr.|||My personal thoughts is that you have a GREAT OB - an OB should have the health of mom and baby in mind. Just because they are category B does not mean that it is safe.





The AAP has stated that %26quot;no drug has been PROVEN safe for the unborn baby%26quot;.





Class B simply means that EITHER there aren%26#039;t adequate studies or that THOUGH there adverse reactions to animal studies, there have been no studies or no adverse reactions shown in humans. - IT DOESN%26#039;T MEAN IT IS SAFE





I believe that, like everything, you need to weigh the pros and cons. We live in a %26#039;dirty world%26#039; and cannot keep ourselves and our unborn babies from everything that is risky, but we need to do what we can to protect them and give them the best start possible. For that reason - use wisdom and discretion, weigh the pros and cons, and make an educated and informed decision regarding this for your own body and baby.





I PERSONALLY would not take this medication - I would simply %26#039;deal%26#039; with the acne for 9 months - it is only 9 months of my life. But then again, I never even took a Tylenol for a headache for my pregnancies.|||If it were me I would not use the meds from the dermatologist. Have you tried anything over the counter? I use Clinique and used it throughout my pregnancy. If you go to the Clinique counter at your mall they will help you find the right products for your skin type and none of them would harm your baby.





I know acne stinks, but for some of us it%26#039;s just a part of pregnancy...it won%26#039;t last forever...good luck!!|||i would go with the advice from the obgyn. yah the skin doctor would know more about ur skin, when ur not pregnant, but the obgyn would know more about the effects on the baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment